Educator Resources for Teaching About Seeds
- A Handful of Seeds: Seed-Saving and Seed Study for Educators – free download with practical information on seed saving in the school garden and seed history and lore.
- Fedco Seeds has a nice collection of resources related to seed saving Additionally they have a free seed activity guide book From Generation to Generation An Activity Guidebook in the Living Tradition of Seed Saving
- Seed to Seed Food Gardens in Schools A guide book on edible school gardens with a chapter devoted to saving seeds ($20). They also have extensive seed saving resources including a robust video playlist.
Seed Saving Envelopes
- Download this simple template
- More templates to cut and glue your own envelopes and even more crafty seed packet to make envelopes
- Origami seed envelopes
- We purchase and use coin envelopes like these. Then have have kids design packet covers that we copy, cut, and glue on. Some school sites sell these packets in fall before the holidays.
Learn more about saving seeds
- View our post on Reseeding Annuals
- Savy Seed Saving basic introduction to saving seed from the National Gardening Association. Search their site for other seed saving resources.
- Seed saving and planting details on hundreds of plants at Seed Savers Exchange.
- A Seed Saving Guide for Farmers and Gardeners from Organic Seed Alliance, a very detailed free downloadable guidebook on seed saving.
- Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners [Paperback, $17] By Suzanne Ashworth and Kent Whealy. One of the best books out there on seed saving.
Learn about Deadheading Flowers which is a great task to do when saving seeds: