Bring Next Generation Science to life in the garden! Using lessons from Life Lab’s updated NGSS-aligned curriculum, participants in this workshop will learn how to use the garden as a way to explore the integration of science and engineering practices, disciplinary core ideas and crosscutting concepts. Where better to learn about ecological interdependence, growth and development of organisms, structure and function, adaptation, and the environmental impact of human activity than in the garden? The workshop will include a brief introduction to the 3 dimensions of NGSS; model NGSS lessons in the garden; NGSS strategies like Science Talks or Science Notebooking activities that can extend a variety of garden lessons; and time to develop and/or modify existing lessons to be more aligned to NGSS. Graduate education units available.
K-6 classroom teachers, garden educators, organizations interested in implementing NGSS practices
Life Lab’s Garden Classroom on the UC Santa Cruz Campus
1156 High St
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
$200 per day
10% Early-Bird Registration Discount will be applied at check-out process for Garden Classroom workshops registered 14 days prior to workshop start date. Santa Cruz County Public School Educators email us learn more about reduced rate registration!
- How to lead highly contextualized, engaging, hands-on science lessons outdoors
- How to link garden activities to the 3 dimensions of the Next Generation Science Standards
- How to use garden-based science lessons to reinforce Common Core Math and English Language Arts
- An activity packet full of garden-based, elementary science lessons cross-mapped to Next Generation Science, and Common Core Math and ELA Standards
- Inspiration to use the garden as context for exploring earth and life science
- Strategies for success from Life Lab and other educators engaged in this exciting work
- Ideas and inspiration for your school garden
- A walking tour of UCSC’s 25-acre Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems
- Vegetarian lunch provided by our healthy food partner Charlie Hong Kong and local snacks!