How can we possibly manage 30 students in an Outdoor Classroom?! Participants in this workshop will explore best practices for establishing and maintaining a positive, engaging culture of learning and fun in a garden setting. Together we will experience and discuss setting the tone for equitable and inclusive instruction; garden class routines; station rotations; and specific techniques to maximize student engagement and participation. Graduate education units available.
K-6 classroom teachers and garden educators
Life Lab’s Garden Classroom on the UC Santa Cruz Campus
1156 High St
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
$200 per day
10% Early-Bird Registration Discount will be applied at check-out process for Garden Classroom workshops registered 14 days prior to workshop start date. Santa Cruz County Public School Educators email us learn more about reduced rate registration!
- How to apply the guiding principles of responsive classroom management (Perceptions, Personal Relationships, Parameters, and Participation) in an Outdoor Classroom
- How to structure activities for success, including management of large groups, diverse tasks, tools and materials, etc.
- A packet of management strategies and participation structures to maximize engagement in the garden
- Ideas and inspiration for your school garden
- A walking tour of UCSC’s 25-acre Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems
- Vegetarian lunch provided by our healthy food partner Charlie Hong Kong and local snacks!