Learn to use a garden to breathe life into standards-based lessons, promote ecological literacy, encourage healthy eating, and support students’ social development. Using Life Lab’s The Growing Classroom activity guide for grades K-6, participants in this hands-on workshop, experience tried-and-true garden-based lessons linked to Common Core Language Arts and Math and Next Generation Science Standards; practice basic gardening techniques; and develop management strategies for a school garden program. Graduate education units available.
K-6 classroom teachers and garden educators
Life Lab’s Garden Classroom on the UC Santa Cruz Campus
1156 High St
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
$200 per day
10% Early-Bird Registration Discount will be applied at check-out process for Garden Classroom workshops registered 14 days prior to workshop start date. Santa Cruz County Public School Educators email us learn more about reduced rate registration!
- A packet of management strategies and participation structures to maximize engagement in the garden
- Ideas and inspiration for your school garden
- The Growing Classroom, the award-winning resource book for educators contains 480 pages of science, math, language arts, and nutrition activities that you can do with your students in the garden
- A walking tour of UCSC’s 25-acre Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems
- Vegetarian lunch provided by our healthy food partner Charlie Hong Kong and local snacks!
Graduate Education Credit Available